Our most popular blog is back and includes more of my faves than ever before! Whether you’re suffering from food, alcohol or other over indulgences, sleep deprivation and/ or emotional runoff associated with the season, you can feel better and have more energy now by practicing these tips. Best part, these can be used all year round to avoid acting like the Grinch.
BEST FOOD AND DRINK BETS FOR YOUR EVENTS
WHAT IS A HANGOVER?
Although there is no official definition, a hangover is the crummy feeling that follows a night of excessive alcohol or unhealthy food and includes at least two of the following symptoms: headache, nausea, diarrhea, gastrointestinal disorders, fatigue.
Drinking drains and interferes with the body’s absorption of vitamins and minerals such as: amino acids, B12, B6 and folic acid, calcium, magnesium, and more. Eating foods that you may have allergies or sensitive to like gluten, dairy or sugar, can have the same draining effect on your brain and body-leaving you sluggish and bloated.
Simply put: Alcohol is a toxic substance. When you ingest toxins of any kind (and as far as I’m concerned that can include being around emotionally toxic environments/people,) it may result in dehydration, lack of sleep and other side effects to throw your body out of balance.
WHAT TO EAT BEFORE THE DAY OF YOUR EVENT:
WHAT TO AVOID:
PRACTICE MINDFUL EATING HABITS
Chew your food UNTIL IT’S THE CONSISTENCY OF BABY FOOD + EAT ONLY UNTIL YOU’RE 80% FULL.
HEALTHY FOOD STAPLES TO HAVE ON HAND AT HOME-YOUR SHOPPING LIST:
YOUR PARTY DAY PLAN:
DAY AFTER PARTY TIPS
SLEEP IN if you can or follow the next two steps and go back to bed.
UPON RISING & THROUGHOUT THE DAY
7. EAT: BREAKFAST-After you’ve done steps above, have a breakfast with healthy alternatives to the normal greasy, hangover foods. See ideas above. LUNCH & DINNER: Turkey Burger-no bun or Amy’s Organic Pizza or Rice Pasta.
8. RINSE: Take a shower. A good shower, although it does not treat the symptoms of the hangover helps you feel revitalized. Use warm water, not hot and finish with a 30-60 second cool rinse. Or take a cleansing Epsom Salts bath.
9. MOVE: Only if you’re well hydrated take your fave SOUL CYCLE or other spin class, a light jog, or 25 minutes on the BELLICON. They’ll make you smile and release some endorphins. If you are sleep deprived and you go to class it can make you feel worse. In that case, opt for a couple of planks + 3 sets of pushups + 30 squats.
10. LAUGH: Too tired to go to class? Watch a funny movie. Love Actually is one of my holiday faves. Laughter always makes us feel better. Whatever you do, don’t call that friend that’s always in a bad mood. You’re likely to feel a little depressed if tired, hungover so you want to avoid negative people.
11. SWEAT: I live for my SUNLIGHTEN INFRARED SAUNA and try and sweat 3-6 days a week. If you can’t get to in one of Sunlighten’s, any dry sauna-especially the one at THE RUSSIAN BATH HOUSE will do. Three x 20 minute rounds with short breaks or dips in a cold plunge is optimal but pace yourself and be sure to take electrolytes and that your hydrated.
12. SUNSHINE and the FRESH AIR, even if only for a few minutes. Our body in order to function properly needs oxygen.
Magen's Faves Blog
Stay in the know and ahead of the health and fitness research/trend curve with Magen's latest fave tools, tips, places, practitioners and solutions for conscious, healthy living.